Without treatment developing low back pain can be a major cause of disability and early disability. With timely treatment, the disease can halt and even win.
For the treatment of sick definitely prescribe medicines with a specific mechanism of action, and in the recovery period it is proposed to perform physical therapy, i.e. medical-sports complexes of the classroom. A special place in the complex of exercises is properly organized swimming.
What makes swimming with osteochondrosis of the spine
Osteochondrosis is a chronic pathology that develops only in humans as a result of degenerative disorders in the tissues of the discs located between the vertebrae.
Disruption of the normal physiological structure of a disc causes the adjacent vertebrae become closer together, squeezing the nerve roots and you change the functioning of the spinal column. osteochondrosis manifests with severe pain, limitation of motion, pathologies of internal organs.
Properly organized swimming lessons allow you to achieve several therapeutic effects on the spine. Swimming with proper conduct promotes:
- Relaxation. Any low back pain with muscle spasm, tense and it reduces mobility. Water helps the spine to relax, eliminates muscle spasm and strengthens muscles at the same time. Strengthening the back leads to the fact that the vertebrae are less shifted. Therefore, swimming is considered to be not only curative, but also preventive measure from intervertebral hernia.
- The acceleration of exchange processes. Strengthening of microcirculation and blood circulation in the cells contribute to the fact that tissue is damaged and a normal drive get the necessary nutrition in the form of vitamins and minerals and therefore are starting to recover.
- In the water flattened vertebral discs gradually straightened, and this leads to stretching of the spine. The extension between vertebrae frees up pinched nerves and the person almost immediately feels a significant reduction of pain syndrome.
- Water treatment – the best means to enhance immunity, which is important in the treatment of any disease.
- Regular swimming and swimming and especially water exercises, reduce the weight. It also eases the symptoms of osteochondrosis as overweight load the spine and contribute to negative changes in the intervertebral discs.
- Swimming leads to improved functioning of the heart and respiratory system, helps create a positive attitude for recovery.
Classes in water and even swimming is recommended when any of osteochondrosis of spine – lumbar, thoracic, cervical.
if on a background of reception of chondro protectores, complexes of vitamins and other medicines for the treatment of low back pain practicing swimming and gymnastics, it is possible to recover the intact discs and significantly improve the condition of the spinal column.
Does disease in the cervical
Cervical osteochondrosis – a disease to be detected among the younger generation. Immobility of the neck, headaches, fatigue, restriction of movement in the hands of all consequences of the violation mobility of the vertebrae.
Swimming in the cervical chondrosis proven benefits:
- In the water the neck relaxes, spasm is removed, is better able to supply oxygen to the brain.
- Regular sessions in the pool help create a strong muscular corset around the neck, and it reduces the likelihood of further pathological changes in the discs.
- The respiratory system practices, which is important to enhance immunity and reduce fatigue.
Often severe pain in the neck can make a person be treated with caution to classes in the water. And this is one side right – inept exercise, sudden movements can cause even more violations.
Therefore, when choosing swimming as complex physical therapy with low back pain should understand that can be done in artificial and natural waters, and what not.
General rules classes
Therapeutic swimming doctors suggest to perform only in the pools. In natural water bodies – rivers, lakes, the sea can be a strong current that will require some effort when swimming, and therefore, the load on the vertebrae will be increased. Also in this water is not always acceptable with osteochondrosis temperature – cold enhances inflammation.
When practicing in the pool for patients with low back pain you should always follow a few rules, if not followed, can cause exacerbation of pathology.
- The water temperature in the selected pool does not have to be at the first class below 27 degrees, it is best if it will stay at 30 degrees. After a few sessions you can already swim in the cool water, but in any case the temperature should not be below 23 degrees Celsius.
- Before going to the pool, you should make warm-up in a few minutes. It can be moderate exercise, light massage. Workout enhances the blood flow to the spinal column and prepare it for classes.
- Depending on what the patient's spine is broken, choose a style of swimming. With the defeat of the cervical vertebrae, it is recommended to swim on the back, so changed the vertebrae will experience a positive effect of water. In other low back pain can practice this style as brass. When performing the spine and extremities be immersed in water.
- Patients with low back pain needs in the swimming pool to avoid sudden movements. It is recommended to wear sunglasses and hats, this will help to avoid getting water in eyes and ears, which in turn often provokes a sudden movement of the head.
- Use of the pool is recommended at least twice a week, the optimal time of one session is 40-50 minutes.
- To engage in the pools is possible with low back pain and those people who do not know how to swim. Will help them to stay on the water special tools – pillows, rings.
- Special water exercises with osteochondrosis should recommend a specialist in medical gymnastics. In any case, at first it is necessary to choose the minimum load the complexes.
- In the pools you need to breathe correctly. The breath should be deep, slow and slow. The exhalation must be made quickly. This breathing technique leads to better ventilation and changing the mobility of the vertebrae, which positively affects the reduction of pressure on the nerves.
Ideally, you'll find a pool where classes are conducted under the guidance of an experienced instructor. Specialist will monitor your condition, tell what is to be done first and what should wait.
Swimming should be an integral part of life, it will help to avoid exacerbations of the disease, relieve pain, stiffness, helps to reduce weight and increase immunity.
Exercise in the pool water
Exercises patients with low back pain in the pool you must first learn how to choose and execute.
Aqua aerobics shows and the young and the elderly, in the water much easier committed a movement, as there is no load, as in normal conditions on land.
As already mentioned, always first required a five minute warm-up, and only then can descend into the water.
The most safe, effective and easy to execute exercises with low back pain include:
- Vis on the crossbar. On land, pull the spine, hanging on the bar, maybe not everyone. In water gravity is reduced, and the exercise is performed easier. To pull the spine in the absence of special devices in the pool, you can hang a few minutes on his side.
- In the pool at any type of low back pain shown to make a neat swing to different sides of the hands and feet, torso twists, tilts.
- To do the exercises with an inflatable pillow. It is alternately clamped between the arms or legs and swim, employ only a loose pair of limbs. To be zealous it is not necessary, after each swim, give my body a little rest.
- Perfectly relieves stress on the spine following exercise. You need the feet to raise the edge of the pool, the pelvis must touch the edges, and the back is on the water. Hands gently can make for the head in this position a few minutes.
- After stretching the spine can go in the bottom of the pool performing certain exercises. It can be of torso in different directions, squats, running in place, moving arms in different directions.
- With cervical osteochondrosis it is recommended to perform mainly those exercises that are easy to carry lying on your back.
Pool exercises need to be practiced constantly, only in this case you will notice a positive result. To extend the sets of classes also need to gradually, as a strong, simultaneous load will lead to increased pain and stiffness.
Swimming in osteochondrosis not always possible to practice, so you first need to know all contraindications to this sport. Water treatment in swimming pools, and even more so in natural waters is contraindicated if:
- Low back pain is in the acute stage of their development. When expressed pain and limitation, you must first obtain medical treatment and only after the stabilization of health to proceed with water treatment in swimming pools.
- Revealed signs of respiratory disease, flu, colds. During these diseases classes at the pool will be temporarily postponed until full recovery.
- Swimming is contraindicated in severe cardiac and respiratory failure.
- Temporarily lay in the water and in the development of skin diseases in the acute stage.
- The patient has a disease history, such as epilepsy or a tendency to cramp syndrome.
Taking into account all the nuances of medical swimming in the pools, you can reduce the main symptoms of the disease after two or three first lessons. But do not forget about medical treatment. Only combined therapy able to stop the pathological changes in the spine.